In Acorn Clinics we treat the foot and leg as a mechanical unit, so for this reason we do not treat the foot or leg in isolation. If you are experiencing aches or pains in this “mechanical unit” it is probably caused by a biomechanical issue.
Shin Splint is a general term for a pain in the lower leg which is generally caused by over use. It is often associated with constant pounding such as running and jogging. Or activities that have fast stops and starts.
• Pain during exercise
• Dull ache in the front of your lower leg
• Pain on either side of your shin bone
• Swelling in your lower leg
• Numbness and weakness in your feet
There are many different reasons for the development of shin splints syndrome. Our podiatrists will identify the underlying cause, and will be able to advise you on the best course of treatment.
• Icing and anti-inflammatory creams and rest
• Change of exercise regime
• Gentle calf stretching
• Muscle strengthening exercises
• Foot mobilisation techniques